Monday, April 8, 2013

Felted Soap

two bars of soap, roving and felting mat
supplies for felting soap

Last week, I made some felted soap at the request of a friend.  I don't think I've felted soap since 2007, the year I started my business.  I ended up not ever adding it to my Etsy shop even though I always intended to do so--I think my other projects just took over.  I had forgotten how much fun I have making it and I may just have to felt some more to sell online.

soap wrapped in lavender roving on felting mat
soap wrapped and ready to felt

Felted soap is basically a bar of soap with a wool felt covering--it's sometimes described as soap in a sweater.  You don't need a washcloth because one is built right in and I'm told it's wonderful for camping, though I don't camp so I can't say from personal experience.  It's a fairly simple first felting project, but it can take some practice to get it looking smooth and even.

two felted bars of soap in lavender and purple
finished soaps

I won't try to reinvent the wheel by writing a tutorial on how to make felted soap.  (I didn't get enough pictures to really do that, anyway.)  If you are interested in trying it, I learned how to felt around soap from this excellent tutorial at Mielke's Fiber Arts, though there are great tutorials all over the web.  You can also buy your supplies from Mielke's (other than the soap) if you don't have a place locally to buy wool roving.

No comments:

Post a Comment