Thursday, May 2, 2013

Gardening and Growing Plants From Seed

I have kind-of a love/hate relationship with gardening.  Mostly because I'm not very good at it.  I kill houseplants frequently and I'm not disciplined enough to take care of my garden the way it should be taken care of.  I almost never manage to stake the tomatoes, I let bugs and weeds get completely out of control and I often forget to water.  I keep at it though, because I love being able to pick fresh, organic food from my yard.  Besides, if you are a canner, having a garden is pretty much a must.  It means I can make jars and jars of tomato sauce and pickles for practically nothing.

small vegetable plant seedlings in a tray
seedlings about a month ago

One part of having a garden that I definitely do love is starting plants from seed indoors.  It's almost like magic to start with dirt and tiny little seeds and end up with living things.  And it seems especially magical to do that when there's snow on the ground outside.  Plus, growing your own seedlings is so inexpensive compared to buying seedlings.  One package of seeds often costs about the same amount as one or two seedlings so if I want to grow something in bulk (like paste tomatoes), it seems like the only way to go.

tall tomato plant seedling
tomato plant seedling today

My plants grew so well this year that I now have more tomato plants than I have room to plant, so I hope I can find people who want to adopt some of them.  (The problem was exacerbated by the fact that I couldn't resist a special pack of five different kinds of tomato seeds and so had to plant those along with my pear and paste tomatoes--giving me seven different types of tomatoes to find room for.)

No comments:

Post a Comment